Thursday, December 08, 2005

New Toy

I tend to not buy expensive things for myself unless I really really need them. A case in point is my tendency to hold onto laptops for almost a decade. And let's not forget that I still have my 14" TV/VCR unit that I got for Christmas 9 years ago. Not too long ago I decided to splurge and bought a digital camera. I must say I am loving it and it reminded me that I really like toys. Well, I've gone and bought a new toy. It's a Dell Axim X51v Handheld PDA. The main reason I got it was because I wished I had one when I was judging Grand Prix Philly. The format was Legacy and all the cards had been given errata which forced me to run to the front of the hall and look up card texts all weekend. But those days are now gone! I'm also looking forward to using the calendar function - I've reached the point where I have so many activities going on each month that I can't keep track of them by memory. I'm still amazed that I've reached this point in my life. Am I old now? At any rate, the Axim is super cool. It allows synching with files on my laptop and it has built-in Bluetooth so I can tap into wireless networks and surf the web and check email. Sweeeeet.

3 Comments:

At 10:57 AM, Blogger Steve said...

Cool gizmo. Looks like you'll be having yourself a lot of fun. And hey, you deserve a new toy! Enjoy it!!

 
At 3:51 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

I had a PDA/phone combo briefly...hated the phone, but LOVED the PDA portion! The sync function was great, and the handwriting interface was very easy to work with. I would definitely like to have a tablet pc, but if no tablet then a PocketPC is very much my next option. How much memory does that gizmo have onboard? And if you bought an additional memory card, what size did you buy/is it big enough?

 
At 6:30 AM, Blogger Hayden said...

The RAM is what you can't do much about and I maxed that at 64MB, but Windows Mobile 5.0 is designed better than it's predecessor and has efficient memory usage. An example is how it powers on instantly. The hard drive you can increase by getting a new SD card. I got the 256 MB one, because I don't have a need for much more at this time.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home