Monday, October 10, 2005

Two Stars

I unexpectedly had this weekend free to myself with nothing in particular to do. I was pretty excited about this as it hasn't happened in a while. I decided to head to Neutral Ground on Saturday and actually play some Magic. They had a release event which I played in, but being the first time I've seen the cards (I missed the PreRelease because of Nashville) I lost repeatedly. I dropped out early and BDM needed another body to complete his 6-man Ravnica draft, so I stepped up. I didn't know what I was doing and this was pretty evident to onlookers. I believe the comment was, "Why does your deck suck so much?" Well, that set the stage for some really sad news. I found out that my Level 3 DCI judge mentor got laid off from work. Given that there are zero pharmaceutical jobs in the NYC area it means that come 2006 he won't be around anymore. I've been judging under him for nearly 6 years now and it's because of him that I've been able to be as good as I am. I've been thinking about testing for Level 3 for quite some time, but always put it off; we already had a NY Level 3. So, things are almost certainly going to change. I don't know if the TO will bring in a new Level 3 from another state or if I'll head judge more PTQs, but regardless, I appears I can't sit back with my feet up anymore - maybe this is life's way of saying that I need to step up to the plate.

On the work front, I've been laboring tirelessly in an attempt to get the Specific Aims, Introduction, and Preliminary Data sections of my Thesis Proposal in an acceptable form. It has to be in NIH grant form, which was a first for me and explains why it's been so hard. Well, today I got the lastest version back from my advisor with only a few stylistic changes! In addition, the introductory paragraph got a "Fantastic!" and two stars (which is a lot coming from my advisor). I spoke with him later about it and he said that it was excellent and it was great to read - it gave him goosebumps. Go me!

3 Comments:

At 10:23 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

For what it's worth, I hope you continue judging/jump back into it. You're too damn good to have your skills not be utilized. And, honestly, I admire your work.

As for your thesis proposal, well done indeed! I know what a pain in the ass formatting and such can be...it's mostly arbitrary BS but we all have to live by it. The way I see it, formatting will always be your biggest concern. You're friggin' brilliant so all you should have to dot your i's and cross your t's.

Fare thee well, good doctor...

 
At 6:39 AM, Blogger Steve said...

You've always enjoyed judging and all that goes with it, but I remember the time you were putting into it was starting to take over your life. Would taking this step put you back in that situation? There will always be "someone else" to do the job, but if it's something you want, then go for it.

Ditto on the "friggin' brilliant" comment. Great job on blasting that out of the park! And you gave your advisor goosebumps... It doesn't get much better than that! He gave you two stars. I give you "superstar".

 
At 6:42 PM, Blogger Hayden said...

Becoming a Level 3 isn't anything like what I was doing before for Decipher (which was eating up all my time). It will take a lot of studying of the rules on my own time and I'll have to work a couple of their major events. Then if they let me test, it'll be a tough written test and a 3-4 hour oral exam. It's no joke, but, hey, if I can get a Ph.D., I should be able to do this, right?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home