Monday, January 02, 2006

Netflix for the New Year?

One of my New Year's Resolutions is to watch a lot of movies. In a way I'm cheating with this because I tend to watch a lot of movies as it is (very often 3 a week). When I signed up for Netflix a few years ago, things really took off and I can honestly say that the membership is worth every penny. One of the great things about Netflix is how you can link your account to the accounts of your friends. You can then see what they have at home, what's in their cue, how they've rated movies, and so on.

If any of you out there have Netflix accounts, send me a friend request (hayden-william.courtland@mssm.edu)!

For those of you that already have access to my account or will soon have access, here are some important facts about how I rate movies (note that Netflix only permits ratings from 1 star to 5 stars):


  • I have rated over 1,300 movies on Netflix (you can rate movies you see in the theater, not just rented movies)
  • If I rate a movie 5 stars, chances are good that I own it
  • If I rate a movie 4 stars, it means I had a really good time watching it
  • Since I can't give 0.5 star ratings I round borderline ratings up
  • Certain movies get rated high because they are exempt from normal movie requirements (e.g., 007 movies, Transporter movies are supposed to be fantastical and over the top)
  • If a movie takes itself seriously in a dramatic way and there is no character growth by the end of the movie, I will not like the movie

3 Comments:

At 1:31 PM, Blogger Steve said...

Um... Aren't resolutions supposed to have a different sort of aim? Things like more exercise, or being nice to strangers or something? Heck, I resolve to eat more chocolate. Woo hoo! True, though, that's certainly more fun! :)

 
At 9:15 PM, Blogger Hayden said...

Yes, which is why I have a real resolution as well - to work on my novels at least once a week. And no more chocolate for you!

 
At 7:35 AM, Blogger TheGirard said...

yay netflix!!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home