Friday, June 23, 2006

Defeat

I guess it was naive to think that we would win against Ghana given our inconsistent playing and erratic mental state, but still I had hopes. The early goal we let in scared me. Actually, it pissed me off. That was some of the worst defending I've ever seen and the fact that Reyna tried to make it look like he was hurt was just embarassing childishness (aka excessive womaning). We got our own goal afterwards, but then were subjected to a pathetic call for a foul in the penalty box. That was no foul - apparently any bum off the street can be a World Cup referee. I'm not saying that this call was the reason/excuse for our losing the match. Sure it ruined the morale of our team, but if you really want something, you go for it. There were numerous situations where we could have taken a shot on goal, but didn't. Instead, we passed the ball to another team member, which of course was ugly since defenders were always in the box. You can't expect to win if you always pass the ball. In the words of Gene Hackman from a fantastic movie called The Replacements, "Winners always want the ball."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home