Thursday, August 03, 2006

Great Adventure

This past Tuesday my lab took a day off and went down to Great Adventure. Props go to Kelly for organizing this event and not giving in when half the people tried to back out because of the 103+ degree weather. Weak I say! The cool people went and it was in many ways a blast from the past. As Steve mentioned, parts of Great Adventure are frozen back in the 90s (Macarena anyone?) and that's exactly when I was there last. When I went over a decade ago, I was scared of the rides and spent all my time in the arcade amassing more tokens than I could spend. I actually saved them all these years and brought them down on Tuesday. Alas, they had changed the tokens over in these past ten years and so I didn't get to play Dance Dance Revolution Extreme for three hours. So, there was nothing left to do but bite the bullet and go on the rides.

Basically, I just didn't think about the rides I was going on. I simply got on line and went. I did the SCREAM Machine first which was rough as hell and nearly threw my neck out. Medusa was next and a much smoother, loopier ride - I really liked this one. During the day rides were being shut-down and randomly started up again almost continuously, so we were a little afraid that we might not get on many rides at all. Fortunately we spied when Kingda Ka started up again and got on. All I can say is that it was AWESOME! The ride launches you over 450 feet at 128 mph. You go straight and then vertical in the air and then you just fly right down again. What a rush! I love how ten years ago I was petrified of Batman: the Ride and now I jump on Kingda Ka like it's a merry-go-round. Go me!

2 Comments:

At 8:06 PM, Blogger Steve said...

Whaaaat?! You went to Great Adventure and didn't invite me?! Sheesh!

There is a whole episode of Megastructures on the Science channel devoted to Kingda Ka. Very interesting seeing it all put together.

 
At 12:39 AM, Blogger Mkae said...

Your mom launches me over 450 feet at 128 mph.

;)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home